Background and expertise
Richard is a Co-Founder and Managing Partner at Acuity Advisors with 25 years’ experience in all aspects of corporate finance.
Having held influential leadership, corporate development and consulting roles at JP Morgan, Monitor and Diageo plc, Richard has had great insight into the world’s most successful businesses. He has extensive experience working alongside investment banks on M&A transactions across the technology sector and has deep-rooted multi-year relationships with many venture capital and private equity investors.
Richard has been instrumental in building Acuity’s Deeptech Practice since our inception in 2006. Acuity’s Deeptech Practice and, in particular, our successes in the semiconductor sector, has firmly established Acuity as the most successful Deeptech mid-market advisor. With many notable funding and exit mandates completed, clients have come to rely on Richard’s sector insight to help shape and deliver shareholder value.
Insight is one of Richard’s notable strengths. He very quickly grasps what drives a company’s bottom line and growth, an understanding that’s bolstered by his personal experience of running and then exiting his own business. Richard easily builds strong working relationships with potential buyers and has a keen and intuitive sense for what motivates them.
Since securing a first class degree in Economics with Statistics, Richard has worked extensively in Europe, US as well as in Asia, providing him with an enviable and comprehensive international network.
Richard has successfully worked with clients across a broad range of sectors from semiconductor through software and services. Recent successes include:
- the sale of Creative Chips GmbH to Dialog Semiconductor plc
- the sale of Capres A/S to KLA Corporation
- the majority investment into MEI Rigging and Crating by Dorilton Capital Advisors
- the sale of Allinea Software to ARM
- the sale of Akrion Systems to Naura Microelectronics
- the investment into Ncam Technologies by YFM Equity Partners
- the sale of SP Devices to e2v
- the sale of Digital TV Labs to Eurofins
- the sale of Sentec to Sensus
- the investment into Surrey Nanosystems by New Wave Ventures and Octopus Ventures
- the investment of LDC in Phoenix Datacom
- the investment into Call Flow of €30m
- the merger of Sub10 Systems with Fastback Networks
- the sale of Zinwave to McWane Technology
- the sale of Fältcom to Telia Company
- the investment into TrueSpeed by Aviva plc
- the investment into SIPCOM from SCC, the technology brand of Rigby Group
- the acquisition of Spamina by Hornetsecurity
- the sale of yourwealth.co.uk and its Money Hub technology to South African based Momentum
- the acquisition of DCS by Neopost
- the acquisition of KnowledgeCenter by Charles Taylor plc
What clients say
“The deal itself was very well executed – Acuity ensured open communication throughout and were able to access senior people within an appropriate international pool of buyers. From the start we had a professional working relationship where Acuity demonstrated a deep understanding of our technology. We definitely benefited from Acuity’s strategic thinking and their determination to get the deal done.”
Tomas Wolf, CEO, SP Devices
“Richard played an instrumental role in helping us secure this acquisition. The pragmatism and focus of his team was pivotal to us achieving a fantastic outcome.”
Toby Hughes, founder and CEO, YourWealth.co.uk
“Richard and his team supported us throughout the entire acquisition process; from scanning the market sector for candidate companies through to day to day support and advice in the days before completion. Acuity were pragmatic and very supportive throughout the process and they clearly understood not only the sector dynamics but also the strategic rationale underpinning the deal.”
Mike Stone, Managing Director of Neopost UK
Richard enjoys skiing, spending time with family and flying.
A conversation is never wasted. We’re confident that we can give you all the help you need, but we’ll tell you if we think there’s a better option for you.Get in Touch